Welcome

This is a Journal of my work/craft explorations. It will contain a variety of projects, both in progress and complete, summaries of things I learn from these projects that are worthy of recording and things of interest that I discover along the way. The projects will include woodworking for the home and shop, decoy carving and painting, airbrushing and restoration of equipment and tools.

I am blessed to have the luxury to pursue just about any interest that fancies me at any time. This Blog/Journal is my repository for the pursuit of these fancies. Text will be minimal, the photos plentiful and the posts timely. Enjoy.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

3D Concept to 2D Pattern

The process of converting a drawing to a pattern requires;

-converting every view to a "straight on" view so that the pattern can be used to cut out the block.  Any view that isn't converted and used as is will result in heads and bodies being too short, bills being drooped and lopsidedness of the original carving block. All of these spell one word..FIREWOOD.

To help this process I use as many photos of similar to the selected pose that I can find.  The subtle angle differences among the poses helps to fill in the detail required to convert angled shots to straight on views.  In addition, I enlist the support of a mount or two that I can use to cross reference my measurements to ensure that I am getting as close to a straight on view as I can

-leaving enough room on the profile of the patter ( side, top and head) to ensure that you have room to adjust the carving to give it the lifelike appearance when the carving is refined....BUT not too much for fear of losing the profile and thus the essence of the bird specie.


Photo study board of poses similar to the desired pose.
A couple of mounts ready to be measured.  These are not completely accurate but help get me in the ballpark for the pattern.  One of these is larger than the other, but the smaller one is more proportionally correct and is almost in the desired pose.
First edition of pattern of body and head.  Note how at this stage it does not seem to resemble the desired pose...3D/perspective to 2D/isometric or flat
Final patterns...head, top and side view with notes.  Note the hash marks on the head and the extended area of wood at the breast of the bird...INSURANCE for later as I carve this twisted head.

No comments:

Post a Comment