Welcome

This is a Journal of my work/craft explorations. It will contain a variety of projects, both in progress and complete, summaries of things I learn from these projects that are worthy of recording and things of interest that I discover along the way. The projects will include woodworking for the home and shop, decoy carving and painting, airbrushing and restoration of equipment and tools.

I am blessed to have the luxury to pursue just about any interest that fancies me at any time. This Blog/Journal is my repository for the pursuit of these fancies. Text will be minimal, the photos plentiful and the posts timely. Enjoy.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Angle Right...Height Wrong

Closer viewing of the bird after the head was fitted revealed that the head was too high for the body and for the desired pose.  I chose to deal with this not by cutting the neck shorter but rather by reducing the height of the body where the head attaches.
I placed the head on the body and estimated how much lower the head needed to be.  I then used a gauge to mark on the head where I wanted the top to be.

I then measured this using a transparent ruler at about 10 cm.  The photo is taken at an angle and exaggerates the measurement.

I then placed some tape on a drill bit at 10 cm. to use a a height gauge

I drilled a series of holes, holding the drill vertically, to the depth of 10 cm.

The tungsten carbide burr was used to evacuate the wood to the depth of the holes.

The head was place back on and it fit nearly perfectly requiring almost no fine tuning

I was now able to take away the wood at the neck and shape teh body to be able to sonnect the two pieces.


Front/side view...looking much better.

Side view....looking better

Head on view...yep this is teh height.  Something still bothers me about this but will continue until I can figure it out.

Nice flow of the neck from the head to the breast.  The picture is darker because I am using small wattage overhead lighting to create  shadows so I can see the flow better than when the bench is glowing with florescent light.

Good body symmetry for this pose from the rear view of the bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment