Welcome

This is a Journal of my work/craft explorations. It will contain a variety of projects, both in progress and complete, summaries of things I learn from these projects that are worthy of recording and things of interest that I discover along the way. The projects will include woodworking for the home and shop, decoy carving and painting, airbrushing and restoration of equipment and tools.

I am blessed to have the luxury to pursue just about any interest that fancies me at any time. This Blog/Journal is my repository for the pursuit of these fancies. Text will be minimal, the photos plentiful and the posts timely. Enjoy.

Friday, January 25, 2013

@#$%$#**&@#

Not such a good start today.  While holding the bird for some sanding, the primary flight feather broke off.  While not catastrophic, it will require considerable time to make an undercut and insert.  In the end it will be stronger.

Also, after letting the bird "rest" for a few days, I am not feeling so good about the head fit and the angle of the head.  It feels like it is aiming too far down

This post will be dedicated to getting the head right before continuing on.  The sooner I get this right/ close to right, the better it will be for carving refining the rest of the bird.

Broken primary feathers.
Trial fit of the head...still not right...she is looking too far down.
The angle of the bill is still too low for the attitude I am trying to achieve and the gap between body and head begs refinement.
Some refinement of the joint....but still not enough of a change of the angle.
Right angle AND attitude...at last.
Different views...the butt is a bit too fat "butt" I will get that later


I like this one...it matches one of the photographs that I posted earlier.  

I will admit though, I am concerned that the angle of the bill on the head is a bit droopy.  This is often the case until the bill is completed and then the droopiness disappears.  This is because in the completion of the bill, there is wood that is removed from the BOTTOM & FRONT of the bill thus changing the angle.

NET, it is good to continue and revisit this when the bill is done 


No comments:

Post a Comment